05 April 2011

Interview with Chris Mills-Kelly

Chris Mills-Kelly, Walk a mile in my shoes (detail) 2009,
camphor laurel wood and mixed media. Photo: A. Higgins.
Artisan interviews Chris Mills-Kelly, whose intricate wood carvings feature in Critical Craftings: Unleashed 2011.

Tell us about your background- how did you come to be a creative practitioner?
I have always loved arts and craft, from an early age I would draw, paint or make things from plasticine, clay, wood or anything really. My passion for creating continued and eventually after leaving school early, working, then raising 3 children, I decided, with the encouragement and support of my family to do a certificate 3 in Visual Arts at TAFE Toowoomba, then went on to start my diploma, transferring in 2nd year to USQ to do my Bachelor of Visual Arts, due to personal and family issues this was put on hold after 18months and taken back up in 2009 as a Bachelor of Creative Arts which is what I am currently finishing my 3rd year in. So I guess it has always been there and been something I have wanted to do, it just took me a little longer to get where I am today.
   
Chris Mills-Kelly, Neither seen nor heard (detail) 2010-11,
camphor laurel wood and mixed media. Photo: A. Higgins.
Where do you find your inspiration?
My inspiration comes from many sources, at the present time much of it comes from my Aboriginal background; the past history, inequality and cultural breakdowns and children; the lost innocence, neglect, abuse, and so on. My own past experiences, and those of my family have also played a large role in my art, and will continue to do so in different ways.

Chris Mills-Kelly, Walk a mile in my shoes (detail) 2009,
camphor laurel wood and mixed media. Photo: A. Higgins.
What creative people do you admire?
I admire many creative people some are unknown to many like my mother and brother who both draw and paint, and my young nephew who loves to create 3D sculptures. Other artists I admire are Indigenous artists, like Vernon Ah kee, Fiona Foley, Judy Watson, Tracey Moffatt, and the late Lin Onus. I also admire Ricky Swallow, Christian Boltanski and so many more that I could continue to list for pages.

What is next for your practice?
I intend to complete my studies while also arranging and sourcing new avenues for exhibiting my work and continuing to create new works. I am also co-ordinating the Oakey NAIDOC week Art Exhibition in July this year and hope to improve and expand this event.

Chris Mills-Kelly, Are we equal yet? (detail) 2010, camphor laurel wood and mixed media. Photo: A. Higgins
I couldn’t live without.......?
My family, they are very important to every aspect of my life, and my art it is my means of expression, my relaxation, and my enjoyment.

Favourite cafe or restaurant?
The Coffee Club

Favourite weekend past time?
Spending time with family and friends.

Chris Mills-Kelly, Are we equal yet? (detail) 2010, camphor laurel wood and mixed media. Photo: A. Higgins.

No comments:

Post a Comment